Release Date: 06/09/2014
TiE-Boston is pleased to announce the champions of TiE Challenge 2014, a start-up accelerator program where entrepreneurs accelerate entrepreneurs to quickly turn great ideas into real companies.
TiE Challenge was launched on March 5 and received over hundred applications again. A screening committee selected TiE Challenge Winners who were announced on May 22. These companies presented at TiECON East on May 29 in a closed door session to a panel of seasoned entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and TiE Angels. The panel judged the teams and declared the following five companies the Champions of TiE Challenge 2014:
- Augo – a mobile app that uses augmented reality to transform passive TV content into a fun and interactive social competition
- GestSure – developed a gestural interface for surgeons to control their operating room computer while scrubbed in surgery
- Increment – develops sensory learning playthings for inclusive learning, to encourage independence and exploration among kids of all abilities
- LookBug – a wearable device that watches your back by allowing you to see if someone is following you at close range
- Speare – an intelligence platform for news and media websites that harnesses semantic data to help them engage and understand their audience
These five Champions were announced at the Friday Night Banquet.
Speare was also awarded the Jit Saxena TiE Challenge Award for not only scoring the highest among judges but also winning the popular vote in the TiE Challenge Open Mic session during the lunch hour on May 30.
The winners will participate in the yearlong program that includes monthly networking events, mentoring from targeted advisors, and the opportunity to present to TiE-Angels for potential investment.